- Year of election
- Year of titular member
- Secretary-General of the Institute of International Law
- Professor of International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
Area(s) of Expertise
- international law theory
- territorial, maritime and border disputes
- international dispute settlement
Marcelo Kohen is Professor of International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Titular Member of the Institute of International Law and since 2015 its Secretary General. He has acted as counsel and advocate for a number of States in contentious and advisory proceedings before the International Court of Justice, the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea and arbitral tribunals in cases related to territorial and maritime disputes, shared resources and self-determination, among others. He is also arbitrator. Author of about hundred of works in the field of International Law, in French, English and Spanish. His book ‘Possession Contestée et Souveraineté territoriale’ (Adverse Possession and Territorial Sovereignty) was awarded the Paul Guggenheim Prize 1997. He has also been Rapporteur or Co-rapporteur on matters of State Succession and State Immunity for the International Law Association, the Council of Europe and the Institute of International Law. He was one of the founders of the Latin American Society of International Law and its Director General until 2015. He received a PhD of the University of Geneva (Graduate Institute of International Studies) and the Hague Academy Diploma of International Law. He has been visiting professor in different European Universities and guest speaker in several institutions in the Americas, Asia, Africa and Europe.
- Possession contestée et souveraineté territoriale. Paris, P.U.F. (collection de l’Institut universitaire de hautes études internationales), 1997, xxv+582 p. Paul Guggenheim Prize1997.
- “Création d’Etats en droit international contemporain”, Cours euro-méditerranéens Bancaja de droit international, vol. VI, 2002, pp. 546-635.
- Secession. International Law Perspectives (ed.), Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2006, xxxvi+510p. (paperback edition: 2012)
- Territoriality in International Law (ed.), Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publ, 2016, 704p.
- State Practice Regarding State Immunities (co-ed. with Gerhard Hafner and Susan Breau), Leiden, M. Nijhoff and Council of Europe, 2006, xxviii+1100p.
- Diplomatic and Judicial Means of Dispute Settlement, Leiden, M. Nijhoff, 2013, xv+337p. (co-editor with Laurence Boisson de Chazournes & Jorge Viñuales).
- Las Malvinas entre el Derecho y la Historia. Refutación del folleto británico ‘Más allá de la historia oficial. La verdadera historia de las Falklands/Malvinas’ (with Facundo Rodríguez), Buenos Aires, Editorial Universitaria de Buenos Aires (Eudeba), 2015, 304p.