- United Kingdom
- Year of election
Professor of International Law, Queen Mary University of London
Area(s) of Expertise
- Law of Treaties
- International Environmental Law
- Water Law
- Indigenous Peoples
Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice holds a chair of public international law at the Department of Law, Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). She specialises in international environmental law; the law of treaties; and indigenous peoples. She publishes widely on these subjects.
She has delivered a lecture on the International Protection of the Environment at the The Hague Academy of International Law. Professor Fitzmaurice was invited as a Visiting Professor to and lectured at various universities, such Berkeley Law School; University of Kobe; Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris I). She is Editor in Chief of International Community Law Review journal and of the book series published by Brill/Nijhoff Queen Mary Studies in International Law.
- International Protection of the Environment, RCADI, (2002), 480 pp.
- Watercourse Cooperation in Northern Europe. A Model for the Future (co-authored with O.Elias), TMC Asser Press –ISBN 90-6704-172-6 (2004).
- Contemporary Issues in the International Environmental Law (single authored) Edward Elgar Publisher 2009, ISBN 98 1 84542 283 7
- Contemporary Issues in the Law of Treaties (co-authored with O.Elias) Eleven Publishing, 2005, ISBN 90-77596-06-2
- Whaling and International Law (Cambridge University Press, 2015), ISBN 978-1-107-02109
- ‘Indigenous Peoples in Marine Areas. Whaling and Sealing’, in: Allen, Bankes and Ravna (eds.) Indigenous Peoples in Marine Areas (Bloomsbury 2019) 69-95.
- ‘The European Court of Human Rights and the Right to a Clean Environment: Evolutionary or Illusory Interpretation ?, in , Edited by Georges Abi-Saab, Kenneth Keith, Gabrielle Marceau & Clément Marquet (eds) Evolutionary Interpretation and International Law (Bloomsburg, 2020) , 141-151.
- ‘Conclusions and Developing Areas of International Law , in: ( Fitzmaurice, Wouters, Tanzi, Andenas and Chiuzi eds), Genial Principles and Coherence of International Law, 442- (Brill. Nijhoff), 2019) ISBN 1877-4822, 422-447.
- ‘Whale’ in Jessie Hochmann and Danile Joyce (eds.,) International Law ‘s Objects (OUP< 2019), 539-552.
- ‘The Law of Treaties, the Law of State Responsibility and the Non-performance of Treaty Obligations:
- A View from the Case Law’, in: eds. Bowman , Kritsiotis, Conceptual and Contextual Perspectives on the Modern Law of Treaties (Cambridge University Press, 2018), 748-79.