- United Kingdom
- Year of election
- Year of titular member
- Emeritus Professor of Law, University of Sheffield (UK)
- Fellow of the British Academy
Area(s) of Expertise
- Private international law
- Aviation law
- Shawcross and Beaumont on Air Law, Butterworths, loose-leaf (General Editor)
- Recognition of Family Judgments in the Commonwealth, Butterworths, 1983
- Commentary on the United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances 1988, United Nations, 1998 [responsible with W. C. Gilmore for the substantive commentary].
- The UN Convention on Transnational Organised Crime: a Commentary (Oxford University Press, 2006
- International Co-operation in Civil and Criminal Matters, 3rd edition, Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Lectures in the Hague Academy:
- The Contribution of the Hague Conference to the Development of Private International Law in Common Law Countries, (1992) 233 Recueil des cours 269-304.
- A Common Inheritance? An examination of the private international law tradition of the Commonwealth, (1997) 260 Recueil des cours 13-98.
- De Conflictu Legum: Perspectives on Private International law at the Turn of the Century (General Course on Private International Law) (2000) 282 Recueil des cours 45-227