- Year of election
- Year of titular member
- Secretary-General of the Institute of International Law
- Professor of International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
Area(s) of Expertise
- Boundaries and territorial disputes
- Peaceful settlement of international disputes
Marcelo G. Kohen is Professor of International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva. Member of the Institut de Droit International, and its Secretary General since 2015. Counsel and advocate for a number of states of four continents before the ICJ, the ITLOS and other tribunals. He also acts as an international arbitrator. He has been Rapporteur for the International Law Association, the Council of Europe and the Institut de Droit International. Author of more than hundred publications in the field of international law, in English, French and Spanish. Awarded the Paul Guggenheim Prize in 1997 for his book Possession contestée et souveraineté territoriale.
- The Institute of International Law’s Resolution on State Succession and State Responsibility: Introduction, Text and Commentaries (co-author with Patrick Dumberry), Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2019, 250 p.
- Research Handbook on Territorial Disputes in International Law (co-ed. with Mamadou Hébié), Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publ., 2018, 476p.
- Territoriality in International Law (ed.), Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publ, 2016, 704p.
- Secession. International Law Perspectives (ed.), Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2006, xxxvi+510p. (paperback edition: 2012)
- State Practice Regarding State Immunities (co-ed. with Gerhard Hafner and Susan Breau), Leiden, M. Nijhoff and Council of Europe, 2006, xxviii+1100p.
- Aspects of the Law of State Succession, Final Report (co-rapporteur with Wladyslaw Czaplinski), in : International Law Association, Report of the Seventy-Third Conference, Rio de Janeiro, 2008, pp. 251-363.
- “Création d’Etats en droit international contemporain”, Cours euro-méditerranéens Bancaja de droit international, vol. VI, 2002, pp. 546-635.
- Possession contestée et souveraineté territoriale. Paris, P.U.F. (collection de l’Institut universitaire de hautes études internationales), 1997, xxv+582 p. Paul Guggenheim Prize 1997.