Roy S. Lee
- Year of election
- Year of titular member
Permanent Observer to the United Nations for the Asian African Legal Consultative Organization
Area(s) of Expertise
Public international law
- International organizations
- Settlement of disputes
- Multilateral treaties
- Climate change and sustainable development
- Human rights law
- International humanitarian law
- Permanent Observer to the United Nations for the Asian African Legal Consultative Organization since 2008.
- Professor, Columbia Law School (1997-2015).
- Professor, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies (2006-2016).
- Executive Secretary, UN Conference on the Establishment of the International Criminal Court
- Secretary, the International Law Commission and the Sixth Committee; Director, Codification Division; Principal Legal Officer, Office of the Legal Counsel, United Nations (1973-2019)
- Swords Into Plowshares: Building Peace Through the United Nations, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers 2006
- States’ Responses to Issues Arising from the ICC Statute: Constitutional, Sovereignty, Judicial Cooperation and Criminal Law, 2005, Transnational publisher
- The International Criminal Court: Elements of Crimes and Rules of Procedure and Evidence, Editor and contributor, Transnational Publications, December 2000
- The International Criminal Court, The Making of the Rome Statute: Issues, Negotiations and Results, Editor and contributor, Kluwer/UNITAR (1999).
- Increasing the Effectiveness of the International Court of Justice, Nijhoff/UNITAR (1997), coedited with Cornie Peck
- New Directions in the Law of the Sea: Global Developments, with Mori Hayashi, Oceana Publications, (1996– -)
- New Directions in the Law of the Sea: Regional Developments, with Mori Hayashi , Oceana Publications (1995–)
- Manual on Space Law, 4 volumes, edited with N. Jasentuliana, Oceana Publications (1979)
- Operational Factors affecting treaty interpretation, Asian Academy of international law and Chinese Society of International law (forthcoming 2017) 1-11pp.
- An International Normative Framework for Democratization, in Building Democracy from Manilar to Doha: the Evolution of the Movement of New or Restored Democracies, published by Helsinki Process Publication series 2006, pp. 41-132.
- Making the International Conference on New or Restored Democracies More Effective and Efficient, ICNRD-6, April 2006.
- Best Practices of Democratization, Mongolia, 5th International Conference on New or Restored Democracies, 2003.
- The Rwanda Tribunal, in Leiden Journal of International Law, vol.9, No. 1, 1996, pp. 37-61.
- United Nations Peacekeeping: Development and Prospects in Symposium: Peacekeeping, peacemaking and peacebuilding, the Role of the United Nations in Global Conflict, in Cornell International Law Journal, vol. 28, No. 3, 1995, pp. 619-629.
- Rule-making in the United Nations: Opinio Communitatis, in Journal of International Law and Politics, New York University, vol. 27, No. 3, 1995, pp. 571-576.
- Legal Developments in the United Nations: The Emergence of inter-organizational Institutions in Asian Yearbook of International Law, vol. 4, 1995, pp. 227-236.
- The Reach and Relevance of International Law: Legal Framework for Multilateral
- Action, paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science
- Association, 2 September 1994. New York in ASIL Bulletin, No. 5, November 1994.
- Making International Law More Relevant: Dispute Settlement, Legal Advising and Public Awareness : paper presented at the 1994 International Law Weekend to be published in International Practitioners Notebook (special issues) 1994.
- Administration of Treaties by the United Nations: Why not? in International Practitioners Notebook (special issues) 1995.
- How Can States Be Enticed to Settle Disputes Peacefully? in Friedenserhaltende und schaffende Massnahmen: Die Universale Option (Möglichkeiten, Erfordemisse und Probleme im Rahmen der Vereinten Nationen) (Peacekeeping and peacemaking measures: the universal option (possibilities, necessities and problems of the United Nations) Part C, vol. 6, ed. by W. Kuhne, Ebenhausen, Germany 386 pp. at pp. 269-292.