- Year of election
- Professeure à l’Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (en détachement)
- Directrice de l’Institut Max Planck Luxembourg pour le droit procédural
Area(s) of Expertise
- Contentieux international
- Droit international du commerce
- Droit international des investissements
- Droit procédural
Hélène Ruiz Fabri is Professor at the Sorbonne Law School on leave to be Director of the Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for Procedural Law where she heads the Department of International Law and Dispute Resolution. She is an Associate Member of the Institut de droit international and has been President of the European Society of International Law. Prof. Ruiz Fabri has published extensively in the fields of International Law and International Dispute Resolution. She is the General Editor of the English web-based Max Planck Encyclopedia of International Procedural Law published by Oxford University Press (mpeipro.com) and the Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of World Investment and Trade (Brill).
Prof. Ruiz Fabri is a judge at the Tribunal of the Bank of International Settlements and has been sitting as an arbitrator on ICSID as well as UNCITRAL tribunals since 2015. She is also a listed arbitrator or expert for several EU FTAs.
- “The Use of International Judicial Precedents by the European Court of Human Rights: On the Trail of a Judicial Policy”, European Journal of Human Rights 3, 2017, pp. 231-248.
- “Understanding International Economic Law in Unsettling Times: A Feminist Approach”, Journal of World Investment and Trade, Vol. 20, Issue 1, 2019, pp. 3-14.
- “Conflicts of Interests: navigating in the fog”, Symposium on Professional and Judicial Ethics in International Tribunals, AJIL Unbound, 2019, vol. 113, pp. 307-311.
- “The Procedural Cross-Fertilization Pull”, (with J. Paine), (2019) MPILux Research Paper Series 2019 (6), [www.mpi.lu]; forthcoming in C. Giorgetti, A. Follesdal, M. Pollack & G. Ulfstein (Eds.), Beyond Fragmentation: Competition and Collaboration Among International Courts and Tribunals (Cambridge University Press).
- “International Arbitration: A Feminist Perspective”, (with E. Stoppioni), in T. Schultz & F. Ortino (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of International Arbitration, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2020, pp. 537-553.
- “The eternal question of jus cogens running into procedural hurdles”, Austrian Review of International and European Law, Vol. 24, 2019 (published in 2021), pp. 141-161.
- “The limits and the appeal of the Restatement”, European Journal of International Law, vol. 32, 2021, Issue 4.
- International Investment Law: An Analysis of the Major Decisions, (with E. Stoppioni, coeds.), Oxford, Hart (forthcoming in 2022).